Friday 28 June 2013

Garden

So, gardening is new to me, but I'm hoping that I'm not messing it up too much...

One of the things that I both love and hate about the garden that came with the house is the most amazing Clematis (montana, if my internet research has steered me right).





It looks absolutely glorious in late spring/early summer, but over winter it turns into a jumbled collection of sticks. Also, it's grown across the top of the fence, leaving areas of bare trellis. My solution is honeysuckle and jasmine - I'm all about the fragrance!

I've done more of the internet research and have decided on star jasmine and delavay honeysuckle. Both are evergreeen, with the jasmine flowering early to mid summer, and the honeysuckle flowering late summer. Ordered a while ago, then delivered and given a chance to recover a bit before planting. Which I finally got around to doing today.








I have also been trying to grow some plants from seeds - my most successful so far have been peas and beans. Or at least they were until the snails got hold of them, they absolutely devoured two of my pea shoots down to the stem! I have now resorted to Ferric Phosphate pellets - supposedly organic, healthy for everything except slugs and snails, and even plant food. Hence the blue dots everywhere.




The conservatory is also still full of seedlings which are lagging behind a bit - mostly intended to become my herb garden.



Other bits of the garden are doing well. My new bay tree (planted in a pot so that it doesn't grow to 12ft high, and the rose bushes where the only influence I've had is a bit of pruning and aphid spray.





And just after all the planting and photos, the skies opened and watered all my new plants for me.

2 comments: